12.19.2007

I hate Wal-Mart.


Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has unveiled an environmental plan to boost energy efficiency, cut down on waste and go green. Or "greener" at least. Wal-Mart Chief Executive Lee Scott said the world’s largest retailer wants to be a “good steward for the environment.” They also want to use only renewable energy and eventually produce zero waste.

I've been down on Wal-Mart for a long time- the awful lighting, the shrieking PA system, those horrible dirty vests that employees are forced to wear two sizes too large for them. I'm always worried I'm going to be crushed and paralyzed by one of those ever-falling prices. I could sue them and be rich, but if they were as sneaky and cheap with me as they are their employees, I'd end up with no health care in a lawn chair with roller skates strapped to the bottom of it. Don't get me wrong. This promised "greening" of Wal-Mart makes me happy. But the proof is in the pudding and until I see it, I 'll remain suspicious. Make sure you check out this site:

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

It's the official site for a documentary by Robert Greenwald called "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price." He also directed another ace doc called "Outfoxed," about "how media empires, led by Rupert Murdoch's Fox News, have been running a "race to the bottom" in television news. This film provides an in-depth look at Fox News and the dangers of ever-enlarging corporations taking control of the public's right to know." The Walmartmovie.com site is full of resources for the Wal-Mart lover/hater in you. Well... maybe just the hater.
As far as hating Wal-Mart goes, nobody beats poor Betty Butterfield. Just going there sends her into frantic dithers.

No comments: